11 Apr 2002
ASIMET Instrument Preparation
This procedure is for an ASIMET module that has either been newly manufactured, or repaired and calibrated, and
should be performed regardless of whether the instrument is to be deployed on a VOS or in a stand-alone buoy application.
The following procedures are the minimum necessary GO - NOGO tests and final prep
for an ASIMET instrument. ALWAYS do at least these tests before deploying an ASIMET
These tests can be performed with a bench power supply set to 13.5 volts.
- Open the housing with a large flat blade screwdriver and remove the housing.
- Setup per the ASIMET Module Operations document.
- Power up the ASIMET module ( and verify the sign-on message if using RS232 comms).
- Check that current consumption; The current for most modules should be 5ma to 9ma on
start up and then reduce to 1 or 2 ma. WND has a start up current of 25ma and a run of
7ma to 11ma depending on whether a compass is installed.
- Type #WND01A (or HRH for humidity, PRC for precipitation, etc). Watch the return:
WND01 - Communications have been established.
- Type #WND01H to get the help menu. Refer to the particular instrument's command
set for further info (or the ASIMET website)
- Type #WND01L to get the ID, SN, cal etc info.
- For modules with standalone option (FLASH card and internal battery):
- Check the time. If time is not accurate, it must be set. Erase the
FLASH card, even if "Records Used" = 0. See steps below for
setting time and erasing FLASH.
- 11. Type #WND01T to go into the test mode. Check that the output is reasonable for the
module being tested. Use <esc> to exit the test mode.
- Type #WND01C to get the calibrated output return. Check that the output is reasonable
for the module being tested. This also checks that the unit is out of the test mode and is
collecting one minute data. Disconnect the power and computer from the module. Skip to
Step 11 below
- If you have a standalone module, you must also perform the next several steps:
- To erase the flash, type #WND01FE The return will prompt:
Erase entire card? (Y/N)
Type [Y], then watch for:
Erasing Flash Card . . . . . . . . . .Cleared
- Just to be doubly sure the FLASH card is erased and ready to deploy, check the first
data record with #WND01FB and look at Block Number 257. An erased FLASH card (as with
ANY EPROM technology) has all bits set to 1; i.e. all bytes are FFh when erased.
- Set your watch or clock to accurate UTC. Type in a time a few seconds in advance
of the actual time; i.e. at 14:25:00, type #WND01D2002/01/15 14:25:1
---- DO NOT hit final digit yet. The time is entered when
you hit the last digit. Wait until the time reaches 15 seconds and then hit the 5.
- Type #WND01L and note that the time when the L was entered matched the UTC on your
watch. Also note that the "Records Used = 0".
- Remove the battery rail. Install a new battery with foam pads to insure a tight fit. Re-install
the battery rail. Check that the MOLEX/AMPMOD battery adapter cable is installed on the P1 connector.
(NOTE: If you are shipping the instrument, make sure the MOLEX is not connected to the battery.)
- Re-install the housing. Check the o-rings. Connect the bottom connector to the end cap. Install
the end cap using the large flat blade screwdriver. Install a dummy plug.
- The module is ready to deploy (or ship with battery disconnected).